12.19.2007

Books I'd give for the holidays

There are some terrific ideas listed in my previous post. (Add yours, if you haven't already.)

My short list is below, books I'd give for the holidays to:

Fellow book bloggers (books that aren't widely known but that I've really enjoyed): Daughter of Earth by Agnes Smedley; Million Dollar Baby: Stories from the Corner by F.X. Toole; and The House of Exile by Nora Wahn.

My 12-year-old niece: Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen (oh, that she would read it!)

My 10-year-old nephew: Day of Infamy by Walter Lord or The Winds of War by Herman Wouk (tough call--he likes WW2 video games, and these books might be a little advanced for a kid--but this IS a wish list)

All my relatives who don't read because they don't make time for it: Swann's Way by Marcel Proust (serves 'em right)

All my friends who don't read because they don't have time: Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (if they read the first page, they'll be hooked)

Books I'd want for myself: Diary of a Bad Year by J.M. Coetzee (by the way, the New Yorker has a fascinating review by James Wood)

6 comments:

verbivore said...

I love this idea, a wish list for giving books. And your Proust idea made me laugh!

Stefanie said...

Fun list. I have Daughter of the Earth. I got it years ago from a free library cart. I still have not read it though. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Love your ideas! have a happy holiday, LK - because come january we are finishing our novels. By the way, I am in search of a job that doesn't crush my soul, and it might be working out!
CG

Anonymous said...

very cool! i hope you get your book. is it terrible that i often give my friends books that i want to read too and can borrow? i thought these are a really cool gift idea too. from vignette, an australian small press: http://www.vignettepress.com.au/?page_id=35

Melwyk said...

I love the idea of giving books you wish the recipient would read! I have a huge backlist for this theme...

Andi said...

What a fun idea! I love giving books...I just wish I had more people in my daily life who read!