1.02.2007

Months of reading for 2007

All hail to you, dear Bloggers, as we head into a brand new year of books, books, books!

This year I am trying to avoid the approach of "chasing my tail" with books -- you know the drill: hearing about a new book and immediately setting off the read it while simultaneously dropping or halfheartedly finishing a current book. Or (worse, in my view) starting too many projects (such as my goal to read through Proust, read Middle Eastern fiction and join in some blog reading challenges or groups, read new genres) and neglecting some or all.

Hence, I am planning my year of reading by month. The goal is to structure reading yet allow room for flexbility while covering coveted reading goals (such as reading the classics or essays). That is a mouthful, but I hope you get my drift. I'll report my progress, such as it may be, as the year progresses.

Here is the outline I've developed:

January – New Author Month
February – Romance is in the Air
March – Exploring Essays
April – Read a Classic Month
May – New in the Stacks
June – Summer Solstice Reading Month
July – Neglected Books Month
August – Dog Days of Nonfiction
September – RIP Challenge
October – RIP Challenge
November – Pick a Genre, Any Genre
December – Winter Solstice Short Story Month

In addition to the above, I intend to continue with the Proust Project and my Middle Eastern Fiction reading, plus add in any other books that I can fit in or which tickle my fancy. I'll report on my "New Author Month" this week.

Until then, here's to Happy Booking & Blogging in the New Year!

15 comments:

Kate S. said...

I like the month-by-month plan. I look forward to your progress reports along the way.

Carl V. Anderson said...

Cool! Psyched about you having R.I.P. in there. Hope there is room for some fantasy during the March-June challenge.

litlove said...

What a lovely idea! Happy New Year - LK! Looking forward to hearing how you get on in the months ahead.

Rebecca H. said...

That's an interesting idea! Hope you are feeling better!

Heather said...

Looking forward to all your progress reports!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, LK!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! I love your organization - I think it's brilliant. looking forward to loads of posts in 2007!
Courtney

Anonymous said...

Oh I like this! Good luck with your reading plan and hope you are feeling better too :)

Anonymous said...

This is the best idea ever! I hope you feel better soon.

Anonymous said...

I really like this idea. A lot.

LK said...

Hey, thanks for all of the encouragement. I'll be reporting the month-by-month plan as I go along, but I feel pretty good about it at this point. Feel that comforting if elusive sense of "control" -- perhaps organization is a better word -- and a sense of focus.

P.S. I am almost over the cold -- sound more like a very distant relative of Lauren Bacall today, and expect to be back to my normal dulcet tones by Friday.

LK said...

Oh, and Carl: June is pretty much an open month for "long" works. I should be able to squeeze something in. Long live the RIP Challenge!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! And you've given yourself such variety it's sure to work! I look forward to following along with your progress through the year!

Anonymous said...

You are organized! I don't know if I could plan that far ahead. I always think I know what I am going to read in the month coming, but then my mood changes and my reading gets messed up. Good luck on your plan and happy 2007!

LK said...

Danielle, I'm not so sure myself, but I'm willing to give it a try. I am only so frustrated that I can't read as quickly as you and some of the either litblogger folk. Oh, well, as long as we are all nose-to-novel, that's all that counts.