11.02.2006

Low

I got a letter today. This is what it said:

Dear Literate Kitten:

Fuck you.

Sincerely,
The Universe

Here's what happened: Regular readers know I'm being pummeled at my full-time job. (This has been a bad week. One example: I showed up at a meeting yesterday and found out -- surprise! -- that I was expected to give a presentation in front of 70 people. No notes, no preparation, no nothing. So, I pulled that one out of my ass.)

So, I've been waiting for a little pick-me-up, a nice boost at least in my fiction career. Last year, I was a winner in a nationwide contest for a short story. Great, right? Well, here it is a year later, and the story is finally published. So, I sludge through the first rain of the year to the bookstore this afternoon to get a copy and there it is, on the shelves. And on the cover is my name. Misspelled! Misspelled on the cover, inside the issue. Everywhere you look. To add insult to injury, said magazine is now folding and this will be the last issue.

In the greater scheme of things, this is small potatoes, compared to Darfur or cancer. But they're my small potatoes and they're piled into this stinking mass that is positively suffocating me. I suppose since life handed me small potatoes, I need to mash them....with a lot of butter and salt and cream.

13 comments:

Rebecca H. said...

Oh, how awful! Terrible of them to make such a dumb mistake! Congrats on the publication, though. That's still very cool.

SFP said...

At least your story was published before the pub folded, and your name, albeit mangled, made the cover. Congratulations!

Want to tell us which one so we can find a copy before it's too late?

LK said...

Thanks for your kind words. I am SOOOO disappointed. This happened on another story of mine, the only other semi-prestigious pub I appeared in -- story had a typo in it. I feel a little cursed, I admit.

SFP, I promise if I ever get a book published I will reveal my name to my faithful readers! (If you want I can email you...)

Brandon said...

I'm sorry you had such a bad day. But congratulations on having your story published!

SFP said...

Yes, please! Maybe the library here carries the pub (or maybe it'll justify a trip to the bookstore).

BikeProf said...

OMFG! as the kids say. That is absolutely horrible! I believe in some states (not sure about CA), that's grounds for justifiable homicide. Congrats on the publication, though. That is very cool.

Stefanie said...

Oh LK, how terrible! Congrats on the publication though. Will you email me the magazine title too? Pretty please?

Anonymous said...

That sucks about the presentation, and it sucks even more about the misspelling. Don't people know how to proof read? You would think they would take extra care with these sorts of things. But it is still very cool that you won and are published! Just think of all those people reading your work!!!!

litlove said...

Just to add my voice to everyone else's - i'm so sorry about the stupid mistake. But of course for anyone reading it, they'll be enjoying the several thousand words of your prose first and foremost. Winning that competition and getting published is amazing. And if you've been stockpiling troubles, then it's quite clear that something marvellous must be coming over the horizon.

Carl V. Anderson said...

I am so sorry, that has to be the most horrible feeling. Like a punch in the gut. Congrats on the story being published though as that is still a really wonderful thing to have happen.

Jessica said...

Ewwwwww, what is wrong with people? Well, consider this...you're further along than many of us, myself included, and though they can misspell your name on the prize, they can't take it away from you.
When I received my BA, full family in attendance, I handed my card over to the announcer with my name spelled out. They had asked us to make sure to spell any unusual or difficult names phonetically correct-for the ease of the announcer. Well, my last name IS spelled phonetically correct (it's the same name as the Norse God of thunder and a popular comic book character-so it's also WELL KNOWN!)
He looks at my card and pronounces my name Jessica Tor. Hard T. Duh. I looked at him, as he's moved onto another victim's card and replied..."Tanks a lot."

Anonymous said...

What a shitty time you're having of it lately. That absolutely stinks. Do something decadent this weekend - something lovely. Take care of yourself.
And I too would love the name of the magazine if you feel comfortable emailing it, although I certainly understand if you don't!

Kirsten said...

UGH!! As a person with a name that is always misspelled, mispronounced, etc., I feel your frustration!

Congrats on the publication though!